By Matt Butcher
With nice strength comes... great flexibility. Drupal is an award-winning open-source content material administration approach, and the feature-packed 6th free up is correct round the nook. It's a modular method, with a chic hook-based structure, and nice code. those are some of the perks that make Drupal a call platform for builders who wish the facility of a longtime CMS, however the freedom to make it paintings for them. From social networking to AJAX to e-commerce, the masses of latest modules attest to Drupal's flexibility. in the event you create a brand new module for Drupal, it suits seamlessly into the appear and feel of your total web site. in case you can imagine it in personal home page, you could code it as a Drupal module.
Dive into Drupal module improvement as we create the thinker Biographies web site, constructing new modules and issues to fulfill sensible pursuits. Create customized content material kinds. upload AJAX performance with the jQuery library. Use exterior XML APIs so as to add content material on your web site. electronic mail newsletters to web site contributors. Use issues. Empower directors with additional gains. And package all of it up in a customized install profile. You won't discover a "hello world" the following!
If you're wanting to begin growing modules for Drupal 6, this can be your ebook. stroll throughout the improvement of whole Drupal modules with this primer for personal home page programmers. in particular written for Drupal 6, this publication gets you coding modules as fast as attainable, and assist you upload the beneficial properties that would supply your paintings that pro gloss!
Just getting began with Drupal improvement? This booklet provides you with a transparent, concise and, in fact, sensible tips to take you from the fundamentals of making your first module to constructing the talents to make you a Drupal developer to be reckoned with.
Are you a Drupal developer trying to replace to model 6? This e-book covers the recent and up-to-date APIs to steer your transition to Drupal 6. the recent menu approach, the varieties and Schema APIs, and plenty of middle revisions are coated during this ebook.
What you are going to study from this book?
* A developer's assessment of vital Drupal ideas and APIs, like nodes, menus, and forms
* utilizing Drupal instruments for module development
* making a new module from scratch
* Harnessing the ability of the Drupal hook system
* utilizing key Drupal functions
* growing customized content material kinds, from uncomplicated to advanced
* appearing database operations
* Writing module installers and uninstallers
* Interacting with the subject approach to construct crisp layouts
* operating with blocks, nodes, activities, and menus
* utilizing an online provider to retrieve and exhibit XML data
* growing an management interface
* Customizing person profiles
* Writing activities and triggering them with events
* operating with the types API
* Defining customized hooks and making modules paintings together
* Exploring the database and schema API
* developing an deploy profile to package deal your modules right into a customized Drupal distribution
Who this publication is written for?
This e-book is written for personal home page builders who are looking to upload customized positive factors to Drupal. it is very important recognize the fundamentals of Hypertext Preprocessor and MySQL programming, yet no event of programming Drupal is needed, even if you can be anticipated to be accustomed to the fundamental operation of Drupal.
Read or Download Learning Drupal 6 Module Development: A practical tutorial for creating your first Drupal 6 modules with PHP PDF
Best web development books
HTML und CSS bilden seit mehr als zehn Jahren das Herzstück des Webdesigns, aber trotz oder gerade wegen ihres stolzen Alters beinhalten diese Technologien auch einige überholungsbedürftige positive factors. Autor Ben Henick nimmt in diesem publication die beiden grundlegenden Webtechnologien unter die Lupe und stellt einen nützlichen Katalog an Webdesign-Best Practices zusammen.
From the world's most well-liked source for net designers and developer's comes the final word advisor to jQuery
* starts off with an exploration of primary jQuery options comparable to record item version (DOM) scripting
* Explores writing "Don't Repeat Yoursefl" (DRY) to achieve a complete realizing of those relevant glossy innovations and top practices
* indicates how jQuery allows the consumer to stick to those sleek top practices with ease
* The succeeding chapters speak about a particular a part of jQuery improvement equivalent to manipulating the DOM, operating with Ajax, and including slick animation results via educational kind studying process that makes use of operating examples to discover the concept
* The books caps off by way of discussing renowned methods of extending the middle jQuery library with pugins and construction net interfaces utilizing jQuery UI
Construct your individual web site is a enjoyable, illustrated creation to the fundamentals of making an internet site. subscribe to Kim and her little puppy Tofu as she learns HTML, the language of web content, and CSS, the language used to sort websites, from the internet Guru and Glinda, the great Witch of CSS.
Once she figures out the fundamentals, Kim travels to WordPress urban to construct her first site, with Wendy, the WordPress Maven, at her facet. They take keep an eye on of WordPress® subject matters, set up helpful plugins, and more.
As you keep on with alongside, you'll find out how to:
• Use HTML tags
• Make your web site shine with CSS
• customise WordPress to suit your needs
• select an organization to host your web site and get recommendation on identifying a very good area name
The sufferer, step by step recommendation you'll locate in construct your individual site might help you get your web site up and operating very quickly. cease dreaming of your ideal site and begin making it!
MongoDB is a high-performance and feature-rich NoSQL database that kinds the spine of various complicated improvement structures. you'll definitely locate the MongoDB answer you're trying to find during this book.
Starting with find out how to initialize the server in 3 various modes with a number of configurations, you are going to then examine various talents together with the fundamentals of complex question operations and lines in MongoDB and tracking and backup utilizing MMS. From there, you could delve into recipes on cloud deployment, integration with Hadoop, and bettering developer productiveness. by way of the tip of this e-book, you have a transparent proposal approximately easy methods to layout, strengthen, and installation MongoDB.
- Web Design Blueprints
- Smashing eBook #29 Designing for Android
- Drush User's Guide
- Creating Flat Design Websites
- CSS3 for Web Designers
- Learning AngularJS Animations
Extra info for Learning Drupal 6 Module Development: A practical tutorial for creating your first Drupal 6 modules with PHP
In the last chapter, we briefly discussed the Drupal module installation and configuration interface. info files. info files. While making the module's proper name short and concise is good (as we did when naming the module directory goodreads above), the display name should be helpful to the user. That usually means that it should be a little longer, and a little more descriptive. However, there is no need to jam all of the module information into the name directive. The description directive is a good place for providing a sentence or two describing the module's function and capabilities.
By default, the permissions on the directory should be set to allow the web-server user (such as www-data) access to the files in the module. However, on some systems you may have to set these yourselves. On Windows, the same can be done through Windows explorer, and the same goes for Mac and Finder. Simply locate your Drupal installation directory, navigate down to sites\all, and create a new folder named modules. Next, we need to copy our module into this directory. UNIX and Linux users: Don't move it; link it!
The first thing we need to find out is whether the HTTP request was successful—whether it connected and retrieved the data we expect it to get. [ 42 ] Chapter 2 We can get this information from the response code, which will be set to a negative number if there was a networking error, and set to one of the HTTP response codes if the connection was successful. We know that if the server responds with the 200 (OK) code, it means that we have received some data. In a more robust application, we might also check for redirect messages (301, 302, 303, and 307) and other similar conditions.