By William Clark
William Clark was once Professor of Anatomy at Cambridge for almost fifty years, accumulating many specimens of bones to be used within the learn of comparative anatomy, body structure and osteology. those shaped a imperative a part of the gathering that finally grew to become the university's Museum of Zoology. He needed to aid scholars of average sciences in buying wisdom from direct commentary of good prepared and correctly pointed out specimens. The 1,289 goods, catalogued in 1862, comprise 128 from people of assorted races and dates. those comprise mask of the faces of Isaac Newton, William Pitt and Benjamin Franklin. This concentration displays, partially, the nineteenth-century fascination with phrenology. a typical player within the influential Cambridge Philosophical Society, in may possibly 1860 William Clark made there what Darwin gave the impression to be a 'savage onslaught' on his lately released at the starting place of Species. This publication finds Clark's very diversified method of learning the tree of existence.
Read or Download Catalogue of the Osteological Portions of Specimens Contained in the Anatomical Museum of the University of Cambridge PDF
Similar nonfiction_4 books
A chain of small handbooks meant to supply info for growers. they're operating manuals for busy execs and contain the entire concepts had to bring up advertisement crops profitably.
- Pulmonary Involvement in Patients with Hematological Malignancies
- His Convenient Husband: Innamorati, Book 1
- NATO Armies 1949-87 (Osprey Elite 16)
- Robotic Welding, Intelligence and Automation: RWIA’2010
- Schleiermacher und Kierkegaard: Subjektivität und Wahrheit Subjectivity and Truth. Akten des Schleiermacher-Kierkegaard-Kongresses in Kopenhagen Oktober ... 2003 (Kierkegaard Studies. Monograph Series)
Additional resources for Catalogue of the Osteological Portions of Specimens Contained in the Anatomical Museum of the University of Cambridge
261. Head, wanting both the tympanic and pterygoid bones. Presented by Prof. Clark. ] Presented by Prof. Clark. Genus Sula. BRISSON. 262. Sula Bassana. BRISS. The Solan Goose, or Gannet. Head. Presented by Prof. Clark. Genus Tachypetes. 263. VIEILLOT. Tachypetes aquilus. VIEILL. The Frigate-Bird. Head. Brookes collection. 24 BIRDS. Genus Carbo, LINNJEUS. Carbo cristatus. morant. TEMM. The Skart, or Green Cor- 264. 265. Head. Head. 1 I F r o m Stromness, 266. Head reversed, to show the inferior surface.
Presented by Prof. Clark. Perdix rubra. BRISS. 408. The Quail. JARDINE. Genus Perdix. 406. 407. MOEHRING. Head. The Red-legged Partridge. Presented by Prof. Clark. Family XIX. COLUMBINE. Genus Columba. LINNAEUS. Columba cenea. L. 408A. A stuffed specimen. D. Columba palumbus. L. The Wood Pigeon. 409. 410. Head. Presented by Prof. Clark. Head reversed, to show the inferior surface. Presented by Prof. Clark. 36 BIKDS. Columba risorid. L. The Common Pigeon. 411. 412. Head. Presented by Prof. Clark.
The Guinea Fowl. 393. 394. Head. Presented by Prof. Clark. Head reversed, to show the inferior surface. Presented by Prof. Clark. Genus Meleagris.