By Hans G. Wallraff
How migratory birds can navigate domestic from their wintering grounds to their breeding websites over countless numbers and millions of kilometres has been an trendy secret over greater than a century. Profound advances in the direction of an answer of this challenge were accomplished with a version poultry, the homing pigeon. This monograph summarizes our present wisdom approximately pigeon homing, in regards to the birds' software of a sunlight compass and a magnetic compass, of a visible topographical map inside of a well-known quarter and -- such a lot strangely -- of an olfactory map utilizing atmospheric chemosignals as signs of place in far away strange areas.
Read Online or Download Avian Navigation: Pigeon Homing as a Paradigm PDF
Best zoology books
The monarch butterfly is our best-known and best-loved insect, and its annual migration over hundreds of thousands of miles is a unprecedented typical phenomenon. Robert Michael Pyle, "one of America's best ordinary heritage writers" (Sue Hubbell), set out past due one summer time to keep on with the monarchs south from their northernmost breeding flooring in British Columbia.
Take a superb photographic examine Britain’s vegetation and faunaFrom golden eagles within the Scottish Highlands to Portuguese guy o warfare jellyfish off the coast of Cornwall, Britain boasts an awesome array of flora and fauna and habitat. discover its remarkable good looks, variety and beauty from the relaxation of your living room.
- Reptiles and Amphibians of the Pacific Islands : A Comprehensive Guide
- Birds in the Ancient World from A to Z
- The Evolution of Primary Sexual Characters in Animals
- Nature Guide: Snakes and Other Reptiles and Amphibians
- Dinosaurs: A Concise Natural History
Additional resources for Avian Navigation: Pigeon Homing as a Paradigm
In either case, the level of performance is correlated with ambient temperature. It should also be mentioned, however, that over longer distances Germany appears to be more advantageous for homing than Italy, probably due to other reasons (Sect. 4). Regional differences among various countries and continents have also been found in homing of more or less experienced pigeons (Fig. 4; Wiltschko et al. 1987d). As kind and degree of experience, keeping conditions, landscape characters and pigeon strains were also variable, however, the causes linked with geography cannot always be clearly separated from possible other causes.
The spatial range of these spontaneous flights is not exactly known [but should now be ascertainable by GPS tracking (Sect. 3; see Biro et al. 2002)]. ) may be reached. 1 Homing of Inexperienced Pigeons 27 Clearly, these exercises habituate the young pigeons to skilful flying, which is a precondition to home over long distances. In addition, flying around gives them an opportunity to becoming familiar with an aerial view of their home site and its closer vicinity. g. gradients) of environmental signals that are required to develop a navigational map.
3. Examples of site-specific initial orientation of inexperienced pigeons. Each central ar- row represents the mean vector resulting from one release per month regularly distributed over a year (7–10 vanishing bearings per release). The centres of the 95+99% confidence ellipses correspond to the end points of second-order mean vectors resulting from 12 single vectors; their numerical values are given inside the circles (angular deviation from home/vector length/homeward component). On the periphery, mean directions per release are repeated and the second-order mean vectors resulting from them (neglecting first-order vector length) are given numerically.